Friday, February 7, 2014

I See Nothing But UGLY



Another Day

I take a look in the mirror
I see nothing but ugly
That girl from school is right, I am fat
She sits across from me every day at lunch
“You’re too big, you shouldn’t be eating”
I swallow my last bite and push my meal away
She watches my every move and laughs
I look back in the mirror and hold back my tears
Repeat the same day
Another comment
Another tear
Moving to a new school in a new town
“I’m safe now; everything is going to be okay”
I spoke too soon
Another bully
More Tears
I stopped eating lunch to avoid the comments
I stopped eating even after the bullying ended
Yet I couldn’t eat in front of anyone
I was afraid of another scar

Open your eyes and tell me what you see. Many would say an overweight, ugly boy/girl. We look at media and see tall, thin models. We walk around the mall and visit stores that apparently only cater to size 0. Boys at school going for the petite girls. Girls going for the muscular boys. And at the end of the day we look in the mirror and assume we are ugly because of our “imperfections.” In reality we are all beautiful.

Media brainwashes society to make us believe that, “that girl” on T.V, whose bones are showing, is pretty. Or that store you tried to buy clothes from isn’t made for you because you’re not skinny enough. In reality “that girl” on T.V is unhealthy and most likely unhappy. The store that didn’t have your size didn’t realize you could look good in those clothes too and is missing out on your business. But you can be the smarter one and treat everyone equally. You can realize that everyone is beautiful no matter what size they wear or how much they weigh. Look deeper into their character, don’t stop at skin deep. Be human. Be yourself. Believe in a better day where everyone will be able to accept true beauty.

“If you spent your whole life concentrating on what everyone else thought of you, would you forget who you really were? What if the face you showed the world turned out to be a mask… with nothing beneath it?” – Jodi Picoult


If you ever feel insecure and you want to talk about it, call TeenLink. We are an anonymous phone line for teens and answered by teens. The people on the line are here to listen—no matter how big or small the issue. Teen Link’s number is 1 (866) 833 – 6546. The line is open every night from 6 – 10 P.M. If you prefer to chat, visit www.866teenlink.org. Chat is available all week. You matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment