Thursday, April 5, 2012

Has Learning Become Inexplicably Difficult?

       Our current education system is not exactly ideal, and I'm sure some of you reading this would have to agree.  I, myself, have felt much more stress in the recent years and the problem is that we know that it won't get much better.  
There are constant signs from the media telling us that we have to succeed, and grades become the most important, regardless of personal problems, health, or interests.   
What looks best on a transcript? What classes can I take that will make me seem like a better candidate for the freshman class in this university? What internships should I take that will benefit my chances of getting a secure job? Personally, I get through thinking that "it'll get better, just as soon as I finish these next couple years".  The reality is, if that's the mindset you have now, that's probably the mindset you'll keep having, when it doesn't really get all that much better. That is why it's really important that you build a solid foundation for the rest of your life.
        An organization called RSA has a series of videos on YouTube that animate speeches.  One of these is called Changing Education Paradigms, by Sir Ken Robinson. He talks about how he disagrees with our "factory" system of education and points out many flaws with the "normal" methods of teaching.
       If there any of you who agree with what he is saying and are interested in switching to another system, there are schools out there that may better suit your learning needs. I would encourage you to check out some of Teen Link's resources, like

   There are also plenty more sources in Teen Link's Where to Turn for Teens.  You could always call Teen Link, and ask for more information.  You can also talk to your school's counselor and see if they have any resources that may be helpful.
Maybe it is time to start thinking about what works best for YOU!



No comments:

Post a Comment